Monday 13 February 2012

Crafternoon Feb 11th; Lantern decoupage

The very cool and switched on Alison Mooney from MARS invited me to go dumpster diving recently. Look what I found! 

Today I do something new.
Just what I've always wanted, one of those things. But in decoupage. So, I went to some sites to find out how to decoupage. 

Because there's nothing I like better than putting the cart before the horse, I had earlier in the week purchased some unappealing dress patterns from an opshop (est. price: $1) in preparation for my imminent decoupage.

Ingredients (clockwise); PVA glue, patterns, pattern sleeve, scissors, brush, some kind of lamp. 
Wet, extremely fragile, hollow sphere of paper and PVA - should have hung it up before starting.

The first couple of panels. At this point, I am still trying to find my way with the medium, and maybe you can tell.



 

First layer, getting the hang of it now.

Sewing break! Added another tick.

After using up one WHOLE pattern already

The second pattern has many new pictures - mostly arrows and cutting scissors

Don't follow the suggestions of the cutting scissors! All finished with an extra layer of PVA glue to make it tight as a drum.

Relax, have some tea.

At the end of this, I'm not sure if I've just done a decoupage. The Decoupage Guild Australia site has things that are so much more... polished and other sites featuring how-to's are doing... things that are different, I just don't know if I'm doing it right. Is there a difference between decoupage and collage, or is it all just glueing shit to other shit?

I think the sphere will look very nice in my designated space for theGRID anyway. It'll be in a hybrid arts collective (when it opens, in _____________), so I think that will fit right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment