Friday 2 March 2012

Adventures in Papergirl: A discovery of B-sides

Somewhere in the beginning of February, made. Creative Space [sic] put out a call-out for yet another fantastic project (and believe me, there are several). 

It was Papergirl! And I was intrigued by the concept of exhibition + free and randomised distribution of artworks + bicycles. At the end of February, I hadn't gotten many works out for Papergirl in particular (theGRID, pincushions and knitting also vying for my attention), but I am having some fun revisiting B-sides that have been living in the folio for way too long. Where would we be without B-sides? We'd be without Modern Girls and Old-Fashioned Men, for starters.

Left to right: Necklace for a friend, Black/White (2012), A how-to (pincushions)
In Oct-Nov 2011, I learnt how to screenprint. I cannot really say that printing as a form of expression has gripped me in the same way as say, latch hooking has, but it was another skill in the kitty, another thing I can revisit when I have exhausted my patience with fibres.


I used a few different coloured inks and papers to test for different effects, and as I don't usually exhibit in paper, I encountered some unforeseen issues. I found at the end of the printing run I had no other works to exhibit with it as a solo show, I had no real interest in exhibiting prints, and I honestly believe they would float incongruously alongside my textile works, not something that I want to happen at all.


After watching The Art of Giving and a bit of further research, I knew that altering these prints for distribution around Toowoomba during September was something that I was going to do.


Left to right - Pliny's Cuckoo, Blue/White. Both 2012.
Here's the couple that I have done so far. At this point, I am only using black ink as the other medium, but it's early days yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment