Sunday 16 September 2012

The manager, the artist, the all of it



The last few weeks have been busy. So busy, in fact, that I've really got to keep on making works. This will hopefully be a quick post, where I will recap on some recent interesting events and discuss what's on the horizon.

Past:
So, I was fortunate enough to be invited to participate in not one, but two documentary series that came to fruitition in August - early September in 2012.
Firstly, Ali Lawson and Ashleigh Bunter, in conjunction with ABC Open created an episod for the A day in the life series, featuring me in my "dual roles" as manager and artist. There's probably more roles I would play in life, like responsible pet owner, daughter, sister, niece, student, confidant, nemesis, common-law wife...but we just covered those first two on this day. Follow this link to fritter away 4:07 minutes of your [work]life and gain a little insight into mine.

As part of my residency at theGRID, Ben Tupas of Oh Darling Downs followed me around intermittantly, interviewed me and then put together this gleaming gem of a short film:

WARNING: This is a dual documentary, as Ben was also keeping an eye on Danish Quapoor's progress throughout our residency. So, 50% of this is about him.

Recently, the number of pop-up workshops I've been holding has increased. The last one was yesterday, at theGRID space in the MARS gallery (it's just so flexible). Here's an insight into the general student process;

WTF crochet?
Last month, I was also invited by the Home Festival crew to take my show on the road- down the hill to Brisbane. I put on a mending workshop, and as a bonus, it was such a beautiful day. I sat in the sun, drank a bunch of chai teas and became the St Johns tent for clothing.

Broken shoe emergency repair.
Present:
Inside Outside is still open until Tuesday the 18th September. In case you weren't aware, it is displayed in the MARS gallery at theGRID hybrid arts collective. humananimal is also open until Tuesday until Quapoor tears it down...

Today was also the official opening of the Imagine you know exhibition at the Toowoomba Regional Arts Gallery. Here is a little bit of press surrounding the opening, which will fill you in on the background. What it won't fill you in on, though, is this piece of amazement;

!
I've cut out bits and pieces, but I think you get the gist.

I'll also be travelling up to Highfields this week to host a workshop for the Wirraglen Support Group. This group is active at the scout hall in Highfields, and the brains behind the organisation are doing some amazing things for kids (and for free). Please follow this link for a PDF on what they're about, and what they do if you live locally.

Future:
Currently, I'm getting together some works for the upcoming Creative Tanks exhibition. Last year was the inaugural event, and it was a really interesting experience. Put on by made. creative space in conjunction with the Carnival of Flowers celebrations, I'll be on show at a local business over the next weekend.

And that brings us to what I really need to be working on. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment