Wednesday 31 October 2012

The Travelling Journal, a story about six Australian artists

The Travelling Journal was a project I collaboratively worked on with a number of interesting artist types. In no order, my partners were:

Kathryn Shewring
barek
Cherie Strong
Little Detour

And it spent six to eight weeks being passed aound the Eastern coast of Australia. I got it first, my contribution is the four anatomically-themed textile panels in the centre. I gave them the working title of Eyes, Brain, Heart & Hands, and I've never thought of anything more fitting. Eyes, Brain, Heart & Hands, 2012 it is then. A work within a work, was this Travelling Journal.

I really enjoyed stretching myself artistically - using threads to complete a line drawing was out of my comfort zone enough to be pleased what I'd accomplished in the timeframe, and close enough to it that I was confident I would not overreach. I refer to this artistic mind space as THE SAFETY ZONE.

Eyes, Brain

Heart, Hands

And I'm doing something new today! Here's my first video post (worked out how to do it, yaaay).



This was put together at the end by Barek, who is pretty clever at making short films about art. There's the travelling journal, as well as others, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment