Saturday 28 January 2012

Crafternoons, January 2012.


My artist residency (did I say that right?) begins at theGRID on Wednesday 1st Feb. I am looking forwards to it, a home away from home, and I can probably draw on the walls.
I am currently midway through a huge felting project, definitely related to the commencement of this latest adventure.

You may recognise this cylindrical shape as a measure of hookrug wool. I do not want to make a hookrug in this colour, but I can hopefully find a use for it, as a length of rough, ugly felt (it's still a bit of a secret the as to the why).

Then, using a chopping board and a barbaric steel-bristled wide brush, I turn the pulled apart ply into:


Shitty, ugly fluff! For my health (in case you were wondering) after working with it, I wipe everything in the vicinity down with a wet cloth. It can get into eyes and sinuses, and will be very irritating when it does.

It's taking a while get this mountain of wool done, there's a couple of different colours and a couple of different hanks in each, bags of hanks, boxes of bags. My grandfather used to hook rugs. When he stopped, I got many things that were left over. Join me soon for part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment